Archaeologica Association was established after many years of acting of its members in the field of culture and cultural events in our country with one purpose, need of associating of all unemployed archaeologists in one place who can further contribute to the development of archaeology in general. The need of constitution of Archaeologica occur due to lack of such associations in our country. Archaeologica is Association that works primarily in the field of archaeology, established in 2009. The main objective of Archaeologica is presiding the appropriate activities and engagements in the field of archaeology, cultural heritage protection (movable, non-movable and spiritual), improving the environment, development of alternative tourism. The Association is carrying out archaeological projects which includes archaeologists and graduate students from the Department of Archaeology of the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje. In this Association a member can be any archaeologist who his/hers data or CV will report in our register of archaeologists in Macedonia. Within the activities that perform this Association, also includes: organized visits to sites in Macedonia and abroad, issuing various informants and professional literature course, promotion of archaeology by organizing various symposiums and seminars, organization of summer field schools, exhibitions etc. Founders Radomir Ivanovic – BA in Archaeology (radomir.ivanovik@archaeologica.org.mk) Bojan Trpcevski – BA in Archaeology (bojan.trpcevski@archaeologica.org.mk) Milica Koceva – BA in History of Art and Archaeology; MA studies archaeology (milica.koceva@archaeologica.org.mk) Saso Gjorgjevic - BA in History of Art and Archaeology; MA studies archaeology (sasho.gjorgjevik@archaeologica.org.mk) Phd Damjan Donev (damjan.donev@archaeologica.org.mk) Elena Karanfilovska - BA in archaeology (elena_karanfilovska@hotmail.com)

A Day with Macedonian Archaeology – “Arheo Park Brazda” (VIDEO)

This short documentary about the first archaeological park in R. Macedonia “Arheo Park Brazda” was recorded for the celebration of international day of archaeology “Day of Archaeology 2014” by association “Archaeologica” ‘with the support of Ministry of Culture of Republic of Macedonia, Archaeological Museum of Macedonia, Cultural heritage protection office and Via Magna.

Realization:
association Archaeologica

Interlocutors:
Goran Sanev, MA
Irena Kolistrkovska Nasteva
Radomir Ivanovic

Camera, Assembling, Music, Graphics:
Jane Kacanski

Author – Screenwriter – Producer
Radomir Ivanovic

Organization
Elena Karanfilovska

Arheo Park Brazda

Skopje, July 2014

A Day with Macedonian Archaeology – Promotion of the new archaeological website www.konjuh.mk

For our anniversary, 15 years of continuous archaeological excavations at the site Golemo Gradiste, near the village Konjuh, we have recently created a website www.konjuh.mk. Through the website we wanted to convey the magic of Golemo Gradiste and its beautiful surroundings to all interested professionals and admirers of natural and cultural heritage. It’s my pleasure to present our new web site at this occasion of the Day of Archaeology because in this way it will be presented to the right audience.

konjuh

I would like to point out that as an international project, which was realized with Gettysburg College, Pennsylvania, USA, and the Museum of Macedonia, today Archeological Museum of Macedonia, the research conducted at Golemo Gradiste it’s a project with the longest continuity in our country. This is due primarily to the great scientific potential of the site was recognized from the start and funded jointly by Gettysburg College, Dumbarton Oaks, the Getty Foundation and the Ministry of Culture of Republic of Macedonia.

konjuh1
The archaeological site of Golemo Gradiste at Konjuh is a rare example of a city founded in the late 5th or early 6th century in the province of Dardania within the Eastern Roman Empire. Situated on a high and elongated acropolis; a broad, gently sloping terrace between the northern foot of the acropolis and the Kriva River; and a narrow area at the south foot of the acropolis, the city represents the late phase of Roman urbanism, heavily fortified and significantly altered by the insertion of ecclesiastical architecture. Its municipal plan, fortifications, and churches represent the early phases of development of European urbanism and religious heritage. Covering an area of ca 17 ha, Golemo Gradiste near Konjuh is the largest and so far best investigated town from the 6th century AD in the north-eastern part of R. Macedonia.

konjuhd

On the naturally fortified acropolis, an even stronger fortress was created in the 6th century. There, through archaeological excavations 1998-2004, were revealed also gates, streets, stairs, and several residential and public buildings founded on the soft bedrock. A number of them, e.g., a large cistern for water, are visible today. With its dominant position overlooking the wider area, the hill of Golemo Gradiste was of stratigic importance for the safety of the city and its inhabitants during the restless times of the 6-th century. The site is also famous for the numerous chambers cut in the rock, found on the southwestern side of the hill. It is believed that they served as cells for monks in the past.

konjuh2

Excavations since 2005 on the northern terrace have revealed two large residential complexes. One was a multi-unit structure, in which dwellings, storerooms, and workshops clustered around an internal courtyard. The second residence, displaying several spacious rooms, a kitchen area, and a colonnaded courtyard, undoubtedly belonged to a member of the elite. Between the two residences, a large, three-aisle basilica (35 x 15 m) with various unusual features came to light. Among its annex rooms a piscina for baptism is located in an apsidal hall. Fragments of exquisite relief sculpture found in both the Rotunda and the basilica point to a local, mid-6th century workshop.

Goran Sanev, MA – NI Archaeological Museum of Macedonia

 

A Day with Macedonian Archaeology – Overview of antiques from Dobri dol village, Karshijak, municipality of Sopishte, Skopje

“We do not dig up objects, we dig up people.”

 – Sir Mortimer Wheeler

 The need to go back to the past is process of rejuvenation of memories or their placement in time and space anew, as well as a realization and replenishment of the complete picture of a certain geographical ambient.

The seeker directs his interest of a certain space towards its deeper perception and befriending forgotten experiences, discovering, stone by stone, that which his forefathers before him have sawn.

For each individual, the mounting of Vodno, as any other mountain, is a goal to reach. To that end, there is a possibility to walk the marked mountain road, others have walked before you, or to boldly take the unmarked road full of various challenges and obstacles.

Climbing up the steep eastern slopes of Vodno, one can reminisce of the old road stretching from the great Stone Bridge on the river Vardar to the south towards Kisela Voda village. There it split in two directions, one continuing south-east (villages of Taor and Zelenikovo), whereas the other turning more to the south towards the gentle hills to the east and south-east of Vodno (villages of Soptishte, Rakotinci, Dobri dol and further down to Pelagonia). (Evans 1885, 98; Hadzi-Vasiljevic 1930, 24-25; Shkricanic 1974, 80.)

This geographical area was known as Karshijak or “on the other side”, “across the river Vardar or opposite Vardar” (Hadzi-Vasiljevic 1930, 33). Once road passes by Markovo Kruvche, or medieval Chrnche, one would arrive at the old quarry where blue limestone (limestone deposits from the third Mesozoic shallow sea dating around 150 million years ago) was excavated and used to tile the streets in the center of old Skopje (Radovanivic 1937, 75; Trifunovski 1958, 84; Herak 1973, 314-317). Remnants from that time can be found even today, a time when the noise, dust, smoke and clatter of the craftsmenwere companions to every weary traveler. Most probably, Sir John Arthur walked this same road while exploring the Roman remnants in this region.

Next are the village of Sopishte, and then the village of Rakotinci, both spread over the long valleys and dry trenches shaped by the long hand of the wild spring and summer rain.

The village of Dobri dol is located south of Skopje, at a distance of around 10 km from the city center. It is situated in a valley shaped as a horseshoe in the southern slopes of Vodno, ridged by the two small rivers, Krushka and Rakotinski Dol (made up of Buturec and Cimkoec springs) that contributed to the fertility of the soil and the ease of its processing, and a little higher up, on the neogene terraces, the soil is dry, sandy and perfect for growing Dobridol grapes. It is protected from the cold north winds, but through the valley of the river Markova reka, open to the warm south wind (South-Razvigor breeze or Lodos) (Hadzi-Vasiljevic 1930, 18; Trifunovski 1958, 15, 130).

In the area surrounding the village Dobri Dol the following toponyms can be found: Preku dol, Preku rit, Ciganski grobishta, Gola Rudina, Kocho padina, Pitoma rupa, Po rogoi chuki, Pargoi chuki, Kushica, Gorni Zabel, Dolni Zabel, Perkoec, Dushkov dol, Opal, Bel Krst. Mankoec, Kojdui rupi, Grashishta, Crna shuma i Drmos (Skok 1936, 104-105; Trifunoski 1958, 138).

fig. 1 Topographic map from the vilage of Dobri Dol

Preserved testaments of the first settlements dating from the early Stone Age can be found in the area surrounding the nearby villages of Rakotinci and Govrlevo. Two settlements were located to the east of Dobri Dol, in the terraces of the Orlovica hill and above the two small river-streams flowing from Dobri dol and the neighboring Rakotinci, the first one dating from the early Stone Age and the second one form the Copper Age, Orlovica 1 and 2 (Bilbija 1996, 380; Mitrevski 2013, 139; 32, 155)

In the middle reaches of Markova Reka, near the village of Sushica (Kolishtrkovska-Nasteva and Videski 1996, 42), deep in the sandy shore, the traces of Mycenae pioneers who most likely were in search of rivers rich in gold, lie hidden.

Fragmented (Mycenae) vessels belonging to the Bronze Age of the Vardar Valley are found in Govrlevo (according to Bilbija 2012; Mitrevski 2013, 184), west of Dobri Dol.

Settlements and fortified stations, small forts and shelters have been woven into the landscape since Ancient times and the Middle Ages. Old cemeteries, stone markers, stelas and crosses. Slanted or excavated. Lonely or attached, one can find them on the hills and fields. Christian or Muslim religious temples tower over the red tile rooftops of the village houses. But, also holy and healing springs and creeks that bring peace and tranquility to the weary travelers and eternal seekers under the deep shadows of the centennial trees and the on road resting places reminiscing of times past.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES IN DOBRO DOL VILLAGE

  1. Archeological site Krushka,

is situated in the vicinity of Krushka spring (Kushica) (Vuchkovich-Todorovich 1958, 289; Jovanova 1996, 370), 500 meters north-west of the village church St. Spas. A double tomb dating from the late Antique was found in the 50’s of the last century and six secondarily used stelae intended for the double tomb construction inscribed in Latin letters, and one inscribed in combined Latin and Ancient Greek. Bricks were used for the floor of the tombs. Bricks with larger dimensions, were a little elevated than the rest were set as the headrest.

Fig. 3 Arch. loc. Krushka-Kushica

Burial gifts were found in both chambers:  a coin (Constantine), gilded crossbow fibulas, a golden earring, golden ring, glass vessels- vials and two ceramic vessels (Vuchkovich-Todorovich 1958, 295-296).

The stelas most probably belonged to high class decedents who held lands in the horseshoe-shaped valley, but served their professional and life course in the administrative, religious and transit center in the province of Upper Moesia, in Skupi. They originate from the period at the end of the 1st to the beginning of the 3rd century (Vuchkovich-Todorovich 1958, 290-295, Dragojevich-Josifovska 1982, 68-69, 81-82, 86, 99, 118; Petkovski 2013, 182, 197, 198, 209, 213).

The following names are mentioned:

– Decedent (soldier in the Flavian cavalry-ala) Vanno, Iulius Vanno Missicius and the dedicator – establisher Flavius Antiocus,

– Decedent (centurion veteran) Antonius and the establisher, free slave Simphorus,

– Decedent Drutie Mestulae and the dedicator Maema Dioscuridi,

– Decedent (veteran of the VII legion Claudia Pia Fidelis), Publius Caetennius Clemens and the establisher, free slave  Simphorus and heir Publius Caetennius Felicianus,

– Decedent Publius Aelius Posidonianus and the establisher Antonia Saturnina,

– Decedents (sons, praetorian soldiers Caio Valerio Pudinti veteran and Caio Iulio Celeri, the son-in-law, who was Augustales (priest of the royal cult in Skupi) Caio Valerio Maximo and the establisher mother Iulia Victorina (Vuchkovich-Todorovich 1958, 290-295, Dragojevich-Josifovska 1982, 68-69, 81-82, 86, 99, 118).

On this very spot, atKushica near the high poplars, ceramic pipes – tubules most probably belonging to an ancient water supply system were excavated while repairing and constructing a new water supply system for the village, thus this place got the name Old Spring.

 

  1. Archeological site Grmadi

is believed to be the settlement or one of the village estates belonging to some of the abovementioned persons located at a distance of around 500 meters from the double late-antique tomb. While reconnoitering this are numerous rocks and tegulae were found, as well as house foundations that were probably ripped out in the process of ploughing the fields. (Vuchkovich-Todorovich 1958, 295)

Fig. 4 Arch. loc. Grmadi

 

  1. Archeological site Smilanci,

situated around 1.2 kilometers to the south-east of the village, on the slopes of a flattened plateau and above a deep valley and an aqueous spring scattered stones and pieces of Corinth tegulae can be found. Maybe this was also the location of a village estate from the Roman period.

Fig. 5 Arch. loc. Smilanci and Bel Krst

  1. Archeological site Bel Krst (White Cross),

a gentle hill at a distance of less than one kilometer to the south-east from the center of the village. On the top of the hill, a wide ditch was dug where most likely a roughly caved stone block was set with a recipient in the middle. Nearby the stone block, there is a stone cross inscribed in Old Slavonic letters.

 Fig. 6 Arch. loc. Bel Krst

FINAL CONCLUSIONS

 

The little horseshoe-shaped valley which is the resting place of Dobri Dol village is also a meeting point for several communication routes, connecting the Skopje region to the south and vice verse. The good and fertile soil and the closeness of the forests and higher pastures have provided conditions for a secure and good life for the population inhabiting this area in different time periods.

The presence of quality drinking water gushing from the several watery springs (a few of which are completely dried out today) as well as the favorable and mila climate were a precondition for forming the first settlements ever since the early Stone Age.

This short review of the few archeological points in the village and its vicinity is merely a starting point for further, more scrutinized and comprehensive research into the archeological past of the village of Dobri Dol.

 

This text was finished on the day of † Venerable Martyr Fevronija;

Venerable Dionisiy Kosturski, 2014

By Igor Tolevski – igor.tolevski@gmail.com

A Day with Macedonian Archaeology – Epigenetic characteristics of the medieval population at the site “Crkvishte” v.Morodvis.

In addition to the attempts of forming an anthropological/morphological image for one researched population, the epigenetic characteristics that can be seen on the skeletal material are of a great significance. They are used in anthropological analysis to determine any genetic link between certain individuals (skeletons) because they are genetically conditioned.

Untitled

In this regard, the epigenetic variations that were present and carefully followed on the skeletal material from the medieval necropolis at the site “Crkvishte” v.Morodvis, brought valuable conclusions for the shaping of the anthropological profile on the population that lived between XII, XIII and XIV century.

From the epigenetic variations of this population, we can see that in most cases we have: intra sutural bones in the lamboid, sagittal, parieto-mastoid and occipito- mastoid suture ; parietal foramen that is missing on the both sides ; metopical suture.

We can see the presence of the very rare : os epiptericum, os incae unipartitum, os apicis multipartitum and os asterion.

 

 

From the epigenetic variation of the postcranial skeleton, we found the rare – sternal foramen, suprascapular foramen and a curved sternum (so called chicken breasts).

The great percentage of some specific epigenetic characteristics in this population indicates the possibility of setting up a hypothesis that most of them were in family relations.

By MA Mimica Velova Graorkovska

A Day with Macedonian Archaeology

Archaeologists in Macedonia, under the leadership of Association Archaeologica, have joined together for the third time to celebrate the International Day of Archaeology 2014.

The purpose of this event was to promote archaeology and present current archaeological excavations throughout Macedonia.

denot (2)

The Day of Archaeology is an annual event that is celebrated worldwide. The project aims to provide a window into the daily lives of archaeologists from all over the world. On this day we ask people working, studying or volunteering in the archaeological world to participate by recording their day and sharing it through text, images or video. The resulting Day of Archaeology project demonstrates the wide variety of work our profession undertakes day-to-day across the globe, and helps to raise public awareness of the relevance and importance of archaeology.

denot (4)

For that purpose, “Archaeologica “ organized an event in the cinema hall of the Museum of Macedonia where there were series of lectures in various topics of archaeology, presentation of documentary film, photographs, exchange of ideas and experiences, as well as some music and entertainment in front of the museum.

denot (13)

“Archaeologica” invited several archaeologists from the country to present their current work.

The event was attended by: Pero Ardzanliev, MA , Archaeological Museum of Macedonia – “The golden faces of the Macedonian aristocracy: from finding to presentation”, Goran Sanev, MA, Archaeological Museum of Macedonia – Promotion of the new book “Ancient Demir Kapija” by Phd. Victoria Sokolovska and the new web site for archaeological site Golemo Gradiste, v. Konjuh, Dejan Kebakoski, MA, Institute for Оld Slavic culturein Prilep – Antique period in Pelagonia, Dejan Gjorgjievski, Museum of Kumanovo – The period between VI and III century BC in Kumanovo, Radomir Ivanovic, Association Archaeologica – “Arheo Park Brazda” (VIDEO), Igor Tolevski – Retrospective of antiques from the village of Dobri Dol, Karshijak, Sopiste Municipality, Ph.D Lidija Kovaceva – Forms of fatalistic beliefs among ancient Macedonians, Mimica Velkova Graorkovska – Epigenetic features of the medieval population of Crkvishte village, Morodvis, Elena Karanfilovska, Assotiation Archaeologica – “Archaeology in Progress 2014

denot (5)

Also, during the event, there was a small exhibition of photographs from the current archaeological excavations on the sites “Antique Theater in Scupi”, Skopje; “Gradishte”, Mlado Nagoricane and “Stybera”, v. Cepigovo.

This event was funded by the National Cultural Programme for 2014 of the Ministry of Culture and was supported by the Museum of Macedonia.

denot (6)

A day with Macedonian archaeology – HOARD OF BILLON TRACHEA FROM THE SKOPJE FORTRESS

The copper hoard from the XIII century was discovered as a whole X.9.5.1, in a pit from Block: XXI, in the course of archeological excavations at the Skopje Fortress in 2009. It contained 50 copper coins, including 5 items of Bulgarian imitations (no. 1-5) and items presenting rulers, namely 2 items presenting Ivan Asen II (no. 6-7), 2 items presenting Theodore Comnenus-Ducas (no. 8-9), 2 items presenting  John Comnenus-Ducas (no. 10-11), 9 items presenting John III Ducas-Vatatzes with (no. 12-20), 4 items presenting Theodor II Ducas-Lascaris (no. 21-24), as well as the most numerous, 24 Latin imitations (no. 25-47). (more…)

A day with Macedonian archaeology – “Kokolov Rid” (VIDEO)

This short documentary is an contribution for the celebration of the international “Day of Archaeology” 2013 by Museum of city of Vinica, R. Macedonia.

The archaeological site of Kokolov Rid at the Vinichka Krshla Village is a complex site.
It is 3 km to the north-east of the City of Vinica, at the left side of Vinica — Vinichka Krshla Village road, several hundred meters to the east of the archaeological site — necropolis Krshlanski Gumenja, at a small lengthened plate, above the Sushica River.

Realization:

Julijana Ivanova, Blagica Stojanova and Cone Krstevski – Museum of city of Vinica

A day with Macedonian archaeology – I know what archaeology is. (from the educational program of the Museum of Macedonia)

 

I know what archaeology is. (from the educational program of the Museum of Macedonia)

  • First visit to the museum, meeting with the educators, going through the museum exhibitions.
  • The story of the Caveman (man from the Stone Age). Adapted for the children’s age.
  • Modeling vessels of clay.
  • Visit to the ancient city of Skupi. (archaeological site)
  • Making jewelry.
  • Making the poster about archaeology
  • Presentation of the project to the parents.
  • OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAvisit to the museum
    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAvisit to the museumOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    The story of the cavemanOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    Modeling vessels of clayDSCF2578 DSCF2593
    Visiting the Roman city of ScupiOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

    Making jewelry

    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    Making a poster about archaeology

    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

    Presentation of the project to their parents