I want to outline a little backstory before I get to my day. For the past five months I’ve been working on the reconstruction of the 2000 year old temple unearthed in el-Hibeh, Egypt as part of my Master’s of Digital Media research project. Only the lower third of the temple was relatively intact, so a large portion of the reconstruction has involved extrapolating from research into Egyptian architecture (with helpful guidance from my supervisors; Michael Carter, and Jean Li). There was a German expedition led by Hermann Ranke in 1914 that photographed and documented what remained of the temple at the time. This information has been the foundation for my work (in addition to books by Arnold, Wilkinson, et al).
Now back to my day….which began earlier….at 6:00am. When I rolled out of bed I went straight to my computer to check my e-mail. I was excited to find updates from the entire team in my inbox (I’ve been fortunate to have assembled a small group of highly talented CG artists to help me in the final push). I was happy to find the latest models from Sean Zhang. He has been working on building the digital avatars for the temple’s priests.
Joe Chao, had sent me a finished model of the sanctuary’s barque.
And Carlos Santos sent me progression of the surrounding environment, including the mud brick wall that encircled the temple.
After finishing the e-mails and rushing to leave the house, I was off to Ryerson University where I’ve been doing a large portion of the digital work. I spent the majority of the day bringing the main temple into the Unreal Engine. A large portion of the time involved a lot of double checking naming structures in Autodesk’s Maya, and problem solving (I’m relatively new to Unreal….so there’s a bit of a learning curve).
I noticed issues with the floor blocks (which I’ve been toiling over). I think this is caused by the way the game engine handles occlusion, which is making the floor look like a quilt. Hopefully, I don’t have to fully rethink my approach. Regardless of the small setback it’s still a milestone for me, as it signifies the beginning of the final stage….VR testingJ
For more information please check out the official Hibeh Project site at: http://www.hibeh.org
And for updates on the reconstruction process, check out my para-data blog at: https://elhibeh.blog