Kauttua village near the west coast of Finland, by the Eurajoki River, is well known for its large burial site dating back to the Finnish Iron Age. The first archaeological surveys took place in the 1980s by Pirkko-Liisa Lehtosalo-Hilander. Eurajoki River has been an important waterway from the Sea of Bothnia to the inner parts of Satakunta region towards the Lake Pyhäjärvi. Due to the land uplift process, the river has changed from those days. The assumed place of ancient village of Kauttua is just below the rapids between the Lake Pyhäjärvi and Eurajoki River.
The site of the medieval village in Kauttua has been unknown. The oldest archive source, a cadastral map from the year 1696, presents a homestead of 10 houses by the bridge leading across Eurajoki River. A later cadastral map from 1790 presents large holdings of one farm at the same site and around it. There is still one building left at the river bank, close to the old bridge fundaments. In 2008PhD Kari Uotila and his team accomplished low aerial photo investigations above the site confined by information from historical maps. The photographs reveal an area of black soil just beside the only remaining building. They also reveal two light lines, presumably the earlier roads.
The first excavations since 1980´s took place last year. According to the findings from 2012, the new excavation site was cleared today.The excavations are running for a period of two weeks, and they are open for public, as well for adults as for children. The excavation site in actually in the “backyard” of a kindergarten (the red building in the picture above), and the kindergarten participates the project daily.
The latest news will be posted to the project blog and the project facebook site. You can follow the at:
Facebook: Kulttuurien kerroksia Kauttualla