Hi. I’m a part time PhD student researching thirteenth-century manorial buildings using medieval documents. I’m studying at Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland.
I spent most of Friday analysing information from manorial accounts for three manors in the south east of England. Medieval documents are not the usual focus of an archaeological PhD, but I am interested in the information about buildings that they contain. These accounts have lots of information about what the buildings were roofed with, what the walls were made of and the different types of buildings on the manor. There is also interesting entries, like the mole catcher, who is employed to catch moles in the lord’s pasture, or the castrating of pigs. Some times specific historical events are recorded, like the great storm of 1361-2. The only problem is that the accounts are in medieval Latin, which I had no knowledge of until last September. I’ve had to learn medieval palaeography to be able to decipher the hand writing and translate the Latin.
The most interesting outcome of my analysis was that there appears to be an increase in spending on the maintenance of buildings at the end of the 1330s. Some of the manors spent more money on repairing the buildings and others rebuild some of their buildings. I’m yet to understand why this change occurs and so far I have only identified it in four manors, but it is a pattern that I will look out for as I investigate more manors across England. My goal is to advance our limited knowledge of what medieval manorial buildings looked like and what they were built from, as well as how much maintenance they required.
On Friday evening, I headed up to Northern Ireland’s north coast to visit a site that I have been excavating with the National Trust. The site is the eighteenth-century palace of the Earl Bishop, Frederick Hervey [Bishop of Derry and Earl of Bristol]. This has been the third year of the project and we have now uncovered many structures in the two domestick yards to the rear of the house that have been hidden since the Second World War. There have been loads of finds of ceramic, glass, bone and iron; we needed large plastic storage boxes for the finds, instead of the usual finds bags. We are already planning to return next year to investigate further areas of the palace. I’ve enjoyed the chance to do some practical archaeology, it makes a change from reading medieval documents. While I was up this weekend, filming was taking place for the next season of ‘Game of Thrones’.
I also spent a bit of time working on stuff for the Ulster Archaeological Society Newsletter. As Assistant Editor, I have to write up notes from the Society’s lectures and field-trips, as well as contributing other notes. This is a great way to keep informed of what is going on in Irish archaeology – Twitter and Facebook is a great help in doing this.